The real definition of Mother
By: Jarrod Wagner
9/30/10
The dictionary defines mother as a woman who has given birth to a child. But as everyone knows the real definition of a mother goes much further than that. Mother’s are the most special people in the world. I thought when I looked up the definition that there might be a picture of my mother on the page but no such luck. I guess I’m a bit partial, but a young mother could definitely use my mother as a model of what they aspire to be. Sarah Wagner was such a complete person that she seemed to be a contradiction. She was very sensitive, yet she was very tough. She was the first to hug and love you during a bad time, yet her hand was very heavy when her children were out of line. She knew the perfect time to encourage and the perfect time scold. She was truly amazing.
On a sunny September Saturday morning this wonderful women went to meet her Savior. She is missed beyond explanation and this pain and void will never completely go away. Mom battled with Multiple Sclerosis for many, many years. Many would say that she lost the battle. They couldn’t be any more wrong. You see my mother never stopped loving Jesus, her family, or friends no matter how bad she hurt. I don’t think she ever knew just how much we looked up to her and respected her. We often have questioned why our mother was stricken with such a disease, and though we still don’t fully understand, you don’t have to look very far to see how God used mother’s sickness to grow many others closer to Him and my mom.
Many people talk about what is wrong with our world today and what we need to get on the correct path. I think the solution is much simpler than people think. We need to focus our eyes on Jesus and the parents of the world need to be more like Sarah Wagner. She got it. She understood what was important in life. Oftentimes you will hear people say that the top two priorities in their life are God and family needs, but yet none of their fruits yield these principles. My mother’s life song sang God and family and on this day that I continue to battle to come to terms with her loss, I can hold my head up and say that I am so proud to have been her son. And the greatest comfort of all is that our goodbye was only temporary, for I know “My Redeemer Lives”.
Beautiful words. We are praying for your family during this time of loss.
ReplyDeleteColeen and Robert
jarrod, this was beautiful. and i'm so proud to be able to have called her "aunt". after all, i wouldn't be doing what i do if it hadn't been for your mama's influence in my life. i love you guys. :)
ReplyDelete