Thursday, July 29, 2010

Transfer Report

Tuesday night we left for Montgomery. We stayed with my parents and left for Birmingham Wednesday morning. Tusday and Wednesday both Jarrod and I were as calm as we could be about everything. Wednesday morning I woke up excited. My appointment was at 12, but we went to Birmingham early because I had an accupuncture appointment. ART (Assisted Reproductive Technologies- the doctor office) recommends having accupuncture done before and after the embryo transfer. I didn't do it last time and this time they seemed to push it more. The accupunturist is a lady who works with ART patients all the time. They have kept up with results and said that "it definitely doesn't hurt" (the results) to do it so Jarrod and I decided that I should do it. The first session was to bring blood flow to my pelvic area. The second session was to relax my body.
After the first accupunture session we went to ART. Usually I sign in and we get called back within 5 minutes, maybe 10 sometimes. It felt like years before they called my name. We went back to the procedure waiting area and I changed into my gown, cap,and booties for surgery. We were told they were running behind. I had to lay on the bed and we waited. I had been so calm up to that point and the accupuncture had really relaxed me. BUT the long wait started getting to me. Last time I had no clue I was about to be in shock that we had only one not so good embryo left. Not knowing what I was about to find out scared me. FINALLY, it was my turn and they called in Dr. Long. He came in and said hello and went over to the embryologists lab window. He was getting the report of the 10 embryos. I was dying. He was there for probably a few minutes, but it seemed like 30. The nurse went over and looked over Dr. Longs shoulder. She said the picture showed 2 embryos. 2 because they are the only ones left, 2 of the best, were they all that was left and they weren't good.... The questions flew around in my head. Finally, Dr. Long came over and told us that we were going to transfer 2 blastocysts (blastocysts are embryos that have divided to 70-100 cells). 4 of the embryos quit dividing and the remaining 4 were questionable- they were at a point that they could take off and catch up to where they should be or quit growing. The 2 blastocysts were good he said. He said he was glad that went went on with the cycle. He said the blasts weren't were they could be, but still good. So, he transfered the 2 and the waiting game began. We went back for accupuncture session 2 and on the way home we picked up my mom so she could come stay with us for a day or 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment